Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Two teeth knocked out and a bloody face for the public.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

New Zealand Norsemen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote

TWO TEETH KNOCKED OUT AND A BLOODY FACE FOR THE PUBLIC.YES A VERY UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENT OF THE LIKES WE WISH TO NEVER SEE AGAIN.IN MY VIEW THIS IS EXACTLY THE DANGER IN DIFFERENT PERIODS FIGHTING EACH OTHER.I STRONGLY BELIEVE ARMOUR AND WEPONS EVOLVE TOGETHER AND ARMOUR OF ONE PART OF TIME WILL NOT PROTECT FROM WEPONS OF ANOTHER.THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE JUST A PERSONAL POINT OF VIEW
allfiredup

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote

i belive your onto a good thing.

unless we have a standard level of saftey equiptment .

e.g full face vs full face

open face vs open face

or similar armour like viking vs man at arms with kettle helm and gamby,

but not a viking vs a man in full plate armour, it just doesnt work for me.

this is my opinion

this has got nothing to do with headblow or non headblow combat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote

Herr Allfiredup,

You are correct, I like what you say. Mixing periods is not cool for either the public viewing or for us participants. And just like Herstjóri Bledyn said armour and weapons match the period.

Within the New Zealand Norsemen we have an extremely safe record in regards to injuries. In fact internally (as in only just us NZN, guest not included because they are not us)we have had no serious injuries. Other than hands and fingers getting split on those wearing only leather gloves and the odd bruised elbow. I put it down to the fact that so much time is spent trying to whack the other guy in the head we don't target legs therefore NZN don't all use leg protection. We don't allow open face helms though so that is the wayoff. We have had three broken ribs though during some wrestling and unarmed training, but that was done by a shoulder thumping into a chest.
Vorschlag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote

So there are people who actually want to do something closer to actual re-enactment then, excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:00 am      Reply with quote

Agreeing with Njal and firedup, it is a poor display for the public to see mixed historical periods squaring off against each other. And for safety reasons bare clad Celts should not run at Segmentata Armoured Romans (however cool it may look) unless rehearsed of course.

But with regards to gatherings where mixed period fighting is just going to happen, then a standard of armour must be there for line battles, where emotions run high and the smell of a collapsing flank can make you do some crazy things. I do not think it is appropriate for someone to run around a line battle with anything less than chain on the body (with padding underneath, Norsemen armour is good aswell) re-inforced gloves (learned that the hard way both giving (apologies Kath) and receiving (you know who you are)), and some sort of metal helm.

Let alone tourney fighting. Competition and steel, there's a great cocktail!

Maybe tourneys should not be organised into categories of weapons but into armour categories. That way each warrior will be acutely aware of what is acceptable force.

I believe that if it's head blow, nothing less than SCA standard helms should be allowed.

You can lose control, but you can't lose your helm... unless someones borrowed it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:00 pm     Different periods Reply with quote

I was at Taupo and enjoyed the combat even after I got a sword in my helmet I have 15th centery plate so I carry alot of steel about but things still happen(we dont play tidly winks)My head hit was sorted out to my liking and I know there was no bad feeling ether side.
But going into head blow combat with out a full face helmet( or helm with an avontale as the Auckland Norse do) is not a good idea.
The combatint who got his teeth broken was warned about having an open face on the feild as he walked on but he did any way.
I look forward to fighting the norse guys at taupo and if Im slow because of my armour all the better to those who fight me and I know the guys from the Naki are looking forward to it to.
I have no problem fighting different periods.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:14 pm      Reply with quote

So much for the safety of headblow combat

Ok so far I have found (in my very limited experiance)
head blow combat is safe and in most circamstances
makes fighters safer as the blows formed are thought out rather than
blindly fired in as I have seen from non head blow time and time
again
what I want to know is who was the captain of the indivigual injured
at the taupo tournament and why the person was fighting head blow
if they had little or no experiance at it (aka looking up+open face helm)
were was the marshal?
This is were things get dangerous NOT the style of fighting!
And surly some thought needs to go into making sure combatents are
capable of the style of fighting?
and are big enough to just watch if they cannot fight in the style
or feel they are not experianced enough to participate
It is easy to lay blame but lets make sure of were the blame truly
lays first!

(note as I was not at the event myself I am coming from a point of
listining to the thoughts of those who were, and the imediate verbal reactions they emparted upon coming back from the tourny)
that of shock that the person was allowed to fight h/blow and was
on the feild anyway and with an open lid
I am surprised he didn`t just smack himself out on his car
when he got there to save others the bother of doing it for him!

Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 am      Reply with quote

I was watching a video on youtube of one of the Gulf Wars and noticed that all SCA fighters entering the field had to have thier Authorisation card on them - no card no play. Perhaps this could be something that could be looked at for us?

Since most of the various forms of combat are based on one clubs form or another when a fighter has met the requirements of the style they are issue a permit. this way when a group organises combat only those sificantly skilled in that form may compeate, if you want to hurry up and train. And yes I realise that there is distance involved but that does not mean that a club cannot make someone else their agent.

Obviously I have not gone into all aspects of this idea but it is that, an idea. My only thought is that this could be one way of ensuring newbys and others have that correct level of training for the field that they wish to participate in - if you want to do more then train more.

My 2cents less tax, fuel surcharges, kiwisaver contributions and govt theft.

Nathan Smith
Schwertbruden aus Livonia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:51 am      Reply with quote

Am I the only to notice that no one is mentioning the fact that callum rode the whole length of the lists with large amounts of blood running down the front of his breast plate after he caught a lance tip in the chin.

or does this not count?

the injuries witnessed by the crowd, though nasty and regrettable, were no worse than you would see at a rugby game or even a boxing match.

I see it like this, we were using steel weapons that are obstensibly weapons of war, designed with no purpose other than killing and the worst that happened was a couple of teeth knocked out.

I dont wat to use the phrse "storm in a tea cup" but i do feel we are be labouring the incident a bit.
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:34 am      Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
the injuries witnessed by the crowd, though nasty and regrettable, were no worse than you would see at a rugby game or even a boxing match.

I tend to agree with that sentiment as whether you are jousting or fighting on foot it is a contact sport and there is always the potential for injuries.

However because we are using weapons and in some cases horses, any injuries tend to be highlighted more than say in rugby where injuries are kind of accepted as an inevitable consequence of the game.

That's not to say that we should take a casual approach to injuries and not do our best to minimise the chances of them occuring in the future. In my own case the injury was the direct result of an equipment failure (a new type of shield) that had not been adequately tested before being used. This type of shield has now been discarded so an injury resulting from the same situation should now not occur again.

With injuries in ground combat, if the injury is the result of poor technique or gear failure then that too can be addressed. But there will always be injuries no matter how hard we train and how well we equip ourselves. The job we all face is keeping such injuries at the minor level.

Because no matter what your political persuasion is, we now live in an era of greater state control and bureaucracy than we have seen in the past. If we draw too much adverse attention to ourselves you can bet your bottom dollar that some weasel in an office somewhere will want to start "regulating" us.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Patch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:59 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
“Ok so far I have found (in my very limited experiance) head blow combat is safe and in most circamstances makes fighters safer as the blows formed are thought out rather than blindly fired in as I have seen from non head blow time and time again…”

Yep, my experience has been somewhat similar. I have found headblow combats to be only slightly more risky than non-headblow combat.
Hell, as long as it is done with control and with even very minimal safety equipment you can do “any target” fighting even. That includes shots to the hands, feet, elbows, knees, face, groin etc. The key word there is control. As the vulnerable targets increase the need for exquisite control increases.
(Also it rapidly becomes a dueling form because practically speaking expecting that kind of control from a whole group and in that kind of swirling combat requires an unrealistic level of skill).
For example, touches to the face are traditionally pulled till you don’t quite make contact, and it is entirely doable – it just takes a new level of discipline.
I have also been in plenty of headblow combats, including interclub events where I felt as safe or safer than any other fighting. And then again, there have been combats that were totally loose and no amount of armour would save you if you stepped into the lunatic swings going on about you (some of them whistling horizontally behind the combatant at face height, in one memorable experience).

Anyway my point here is that the important word is not headblow. The important word is control.
If you are in a fight with control then the chance of injury is tiny. If you are in a fight with little control then accidents happen.

Why we continue to talk back and forth about this issue I think is because there are some fighters who want to do battle with less control. It is more exciting to fling your sword about with wild abandon. It is thrilling to know you might well have an eye hanging out of your face at the end of the fight. Scars are bragging rights. Oh and it’s easier.
Again I don’t have any particular objection to people wanting to do their own thing, however I do suggest that you don’t really want to do it that much at a family show. It just does not seem like the right environment for it, what with the toddlers and mothers and all.

Quote:
“I see it like this, we were using steel weapons that are obstensibly weapons of war, designed with no purpose other than killing and the worst that happened was a couple of teeth knocked out.
I dont wat to use the phrse "storm in a tea cup" but i do feel we are be labouring the incident a bit.”

I don’t think that is the point. We do dozens if not hundreds of group combat between us every year. Injuries are very, very rare, but at this fight we had several. We are perfectly capable of having great fights with no accidents. Saying that some other violent thing is worse is no defense when we routinely do big battles without blood, and with as much if not more spectacle, skill, and delight.
Cheers,
Patch.
griff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:24 pm      Reply with quote

wuzzel in regards to your question about who was his club captain? the individual that was hit in the gob is not affiliated with anyone anymore as far as i know. but i do know that he is experianced in head blow combat and has been on the scene for a no# of years. he also knows our style of fighting as he has fought with and against us many times. He knows the deal, metal swinging open face potential accident. a mouth gaurd would have been a ggod idea though.

and fungus it was your helm not a sword (te he)
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:55 am      Reply with quote

"Blaming the Victims"

So we've established what the guy who got hit did wrong.

And where the marshall's got it wrong.

So that leaves...
Fungus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:46 am     hello Reply with quote

No griff I could see the blade with both my eyes horizontaly as it cut into the bribge of my nose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote

no not blaming the victim
as i said "potential accident" accident being the word.
if i remember rightly this ACCIDENT happened in the small pen we had set up to back of the encampment, it was a self marshall type affair as it was not planned combat as such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: