Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Kit for combat archery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:36 pm      Reply with quote

Agreed 100%

If the surcoats were, (for the sake of argument), green on one side and red on the other, they could be used as reversible garments, depending on which side of the battlefield an archer was on. That's just a thought.

Having the surcoat representing the archer's guild is probably a better idea though, as it helps give a sense of consistency in appearence. If archers were on both sides in similar colours, it wouldn't really matter, because as Angel put it, anything can be an identifier, and armies were sometimes known to use similar colours anyway.

An archer guild emblem, club affiliaton and personal badges could then be applied as charges (I hope I've got that right) to differentiate the archer's affiliations, irrespective of the ultimate nature of the tunic.

To my mind (addled as it may be) this idea really works, would look good, and would give archers a real sense of identity.

But I'm probably the non-archer in this discussion, I just got excited because I saw "Taupo" in one of the posts, so I'll back off now and leave you guys to it, because it ultimately affects you more than I.

Very stimulating discussion, by the way.

Nic
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:40 pm      Reply with quote

hopies wrote:
how about just a simple arrow?

- we could be sneaky and put club colors as the fletchings.

Simple is good. I'm assuming that these badges would fit into an area in the order of 10 to 20cm square (whatever shape they wind up in), would that be fair? If they're that size it might be tricky to fletch the arrow with club colours... but I guess that would be up to the individual.

The point I suspect would be to encourage people to wear a badge with the same emblem on it, even if they used slightly different colours and sizes.
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:44 pm      Reply with quote

another simple design would be a bow at full draw with an arrow inside it, but a simple arrow includes crossbowmen aswell.
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
hopies

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:03 pm      Reply with quote

seeing as my 3d drawing skills arnt all that good my arrow would look like a crossbow bolt anyway.

s

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:05 pm      Reply with quote

I'd go with crossed arrows - seems less... phallic...

You could do the arrows and background in your club colours and kill two birds with one stone.

Falcons could do white arrows on a blue & black background
Dragons could do gold on a blue background
etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:10 pm      Reply with quote

Angel wrote:

You could do the arrows and background in your club colours and kill two birds with one stone.

etc.

Perfect. Who's keen?
Kath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:15 pm     Kit for combat archery Reply with quote

I'm in.

I can have my (removeable) english cross on one side and the archers emblem on the other.

Cool! Cool
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:17 pm      Reply with quote

I think I'll do mine on a yellow & black background and counterchange them, and stick a border around it, just to keep with my theme.

I need to get around to making a new surcoat, and I think I may do interchangeable sleeves for all the different badges I might end up with.

A Kingdom of Lochac one, a Shirt of Darton one, an archery one, an MLH one, a first aid one....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:28 pm      Reply with quote

Angel wrote:
I need to get around to making a new surcoat, and I think I may do interchangeable sleeves for all the different badges I might end up with.

A Kingdom of Lochac one, a Shirt of Darton one, an archery one, an MLH one, a first aid one....

Yep, just like Scout badges.

I'll do mine out of .... oh wait, I don't have any personaly heraldry... first things first then.
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:01 pm      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
I'll do mine out of .... oh wait, I don't have any personaly heraldry... first things first then.

You might not want to go past the Thomas heraldry. I think its pretty cool.

Sourced from: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/9693/heraldry.htm

gt1cm2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
Angel wrote:

etc.

Perfect. Who's keen?

Yep

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
BigMac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:21 pm      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:
But we would need a standard emblem.

Has anyone got any ideas for an archery emblem?

On a black field a large blue sun with a medium white sun and a small red sun superimposed perhaps Twisted Evil oh and a yellow stripe down the spine so the caverly know who you are.

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:42 am      Reply with quote

BigMac wrote:
On a black field a large blue sun with a medium white sun and a small red sun superimposed perhaps Twisted Evil oh and a yellow stripe down the spine so the caverly know who you are.

That's quite cool too... although I'd feel a little bit like a walking dartboard. That's probably inviting being shot a little more than necessary.

Phil - thanks for that heraldry, I like the three ravens motif. But wouldn't there potentially be lots of different Thomas heraldry for the different families that have little or no relation to each other?... Google doesn't seem to support the diversity theory though, so I guess Thomas is Thomas no matter how far we go. Cool. Thanks for digging those up.

Nigel
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: