Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Combat archery and siege at NAAMA 2007

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:07 pm     Combat archery and siege at NAAMA 2007 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

With two weeks to go I thought I'd let everyone know a bit more about what's going to be happening this year at NAAMA with regard to combat archery and siege.

Firstly for those that haven't read the rules surrounding this, you can find them here:

http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/download.php?id=172

If you're intending to use a bow, javelin, trebuchet or some other form of missile at NAAMA this year I strongly suggest that you read the relevant parts of these rules, especially because this is the first year we've run it as part of the mainstream fighting.

For everyone else I'll give you a quick brief here:

Combat Types:
There will be two types of missile combat. The one most people will be participating in is Light Missile Combat. This can be done with standard NAAMA armour, or no armour in the case of off-field archers and siege. All missiles (arrows, bolts, javelins, siege projectiles, etc) will be launched in waves and there will be prior warning before each is launched. All combatants should then cover their face or raise their shield and look down (not up). All missiles will be lobbed - they must travel through an arc and not be fired straight. Crossbows will be difficult to use with this. The minimum range is 5m. Anyone with a bow or crossbow is encouraged to come and participate in this (with or without armour) - a mass volley of arrows is truely an awesome sight to behold.

Javelins are excluded from the requirement to announce, the need to lob, and the minimum range provided they are well padded and are thrown with care and appropriate restraint (for example, not full force at point blank).

The second type is Heavy Missile Combat. People wishing to participate in this will require a higher standard of armour than usual - specifically perforated steel or mesh over any opening in the helmet to protect the entire head, and a gorget to protect the throat. Missiles may be launched without announcement with a flat trajectory. The same minimum 5m rule applies. Crossbows are better suited to this. All bows and crossbows are required to have a 30lb or less draw weight for heavy missile combat. For combatants with the required critical area protection, there will be additional games organised - such as 'archery paintball'.

Heavy combat and light combat will generally not be mixed up on the same battlefield, except for some of the fort battles, where one side will be heavy and the other light - allowing light archers to shoot directly at heavies without the need for the same armour themselves. You will be told when this is happening and how it will be organised.

A siege hit anywhere on your body, including your shield, is considered a killing shot. Your shield will not save you.

Arrows and crossbow bolts must not be picked up and immediately reused until you have inspected them under the supervision of a marshal. This will help prevent damaged arrows and bolts being reused and causing injury. Javelins may be picked up, field-inspected and immediately reused provided they are not damaged.

This is not a complete description of the rules. Please read the full rules if you have any questions before posting here.

Deliberate Damage
People have invested a lot of time and money into making arrows, bolts and javelins to use at NAAMA, it's inevetible that some of these will get broken in the course of the weekend, but please try and avoid standing on arrows, etc if you don't need to. When you leave the field please collect up any projectiles you find and return them to the pile (probably near a marshal). Anyone caught deliberately breaking gear will be asked to leave the field and may be asked to pay for the damage.

Briefings:
Some of the mass melee battles will include various missiles. Please make yourself aware of how this affects you before the battle starts. There will be briefings at the beginning of the day as part of the warm-up battles in the morning. If you're not sure, ask a marshal.

As part of the briefings there will be time for those with bows, crossbows, and javelins to practise and get a feel for what it's like.

Weapons Check:
All bows, arrows, javelins, etc should be brought to weapons check before they can be used. Bows and crossbows which are to be used against heavy combants will be tested to ensure they are 30lbs draw or under. Please also bring your helmet and gorget with you to be checked if you wish to do heavy combat.

All siege engines will require field testing prior to use. This will be done on either friday afternoon or saturday morning. Please make yourself known to a marshal when you arrive and we will check your engine and munitions as soon as we can get time on the range. Remember that you (or your duely appointed victim) may be required to take a hit to prove it's safe.

Siege Safety
Our range is not huge, so please take precautions to ensure your projectiles remain within the bounds of the range. Any engines repeatedly misfiring or causing undue risk to bystanders and others nearby will be stood-down. Nobody is to operate any siege engine without permission and training from the owner.

'Interesting' Ammunition
For one or two battles we will allow flour (and possibly water bombs) to be thrown by hand and by siege engine. You'll be briefed before battle when this is taking place. Safety glasses under your helmet are encouraged.

Fort Bombardment
There will be time set aside for siege engines to bombard the empty fort with stones prior to that phase of the fort battle. During this, stone or softer ammunition is to be used - no metal balls will be allowed. A lot of people have put in many hours building this fort and would not like to see it completely demolished before the first battle takes place. Access to the fort to retrieve stones will probably not be allowed (we're trying to keep this authentic).

See you all at NAAMA.

Regards,
Nigel
Kath

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote

Just putting finishing touches on the waiver form.....

Seiger, seigest , Seigee ???

Help?
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:14 pm     Grammar Reply with quote

Beseiger and beseiged
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:22 pm     Seige ammo Reply with quote

And Nigel did lay out the law in the following fashion, as is his right:-
Quote:
During this, stone or softer ammunition is to be used - no metal balls will be allowed. A lot of people have put in many hours building this fort and would not like to see it completely demolished before the first battle takes place.

Damn so much for the petanque boules.
They would only make a small hole, (bout 75mm diameter) we gotta hit the damn thing first let alone demolish it. I thought they were gonna burn it anyway.

Cheers
Bogue
Kath

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks Bouge,

I could've referred to my extensive Elizabeth Chadwick collection but am pressed for time.

k
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:14 am     Re: Seige ammo Reply with quote

Bogue wrote:
And Nigel did lay out the law in the following fashion, as is his right

I feel like I need a shiny sheriffs badge and a bumbling half-drunk side-kick... oh wait, I can probably arrange the later.

Fortunately the whole range used to be part of a river-bed. When digging the foundations for the fort we hit stone within a few inches of the surface. Combine that with there being a nearby river, I don't think there will be a shortage of stone. You might need to bribe some half-drunk side-kicks to haul it for you though... and some of dem stones are a might bigger than a petanque boule anyway. It would be appreciated if you could keep all ammunition to something smaller than a cow... although cows are fair game, just lob them over to the kitchen when you're done.

Bogue, come see me and/or Fungus at camp and we'll sort out the finer details of the bombardment on the day.

I'm really looking forward to seeing these engines in action - I haven't had the pleasure yet.

Cheers,
Nigel
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:03 am      Reply with quote

Some more thoughts to give you an idea of what could be facing you on the battlefield. These are the numbers that I am aware of so far (and I'm sure there will be many more out there that I don't know about). During the all-in battle assaulting the fort this year, you could well see:

* At least 2 large trebuchets and several smaller siege engines hammering the fort with combat ammunition, and perhaps one or two inside the fort firing out.

* Up to 20 bowmen and 12 crossbowmen.

* At least 200 combat arrows and 100 combat bolts.

* 20 to 30 javelins.

* 50 to 60 melee combatants.

* One massive fort consisting of over 300 pallets, thousands of nails, and over 400 hours of labour.

This is going to be a NAAMA to remember.
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote

Serpents! Don't forget the Carthaginian biological Artillary ammo. Snakes on a Parapet!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:52 pm     It's all about snakes Reply with quote

And Rome did say
Quote:
Snakes on a Parapet!

at which point Samuel L Jackson was heard to say

"Who put all these M.....F.... snakes on this M.....F...... parapet"

Please no more Snakes.

cheers
Bogue
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote

Hannibals Revenge! Nothing that can't be achieved by a judicious bribe at MAF.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:31 pm     Re: It's all about snakes Reply with quote

Bogue wrote:
And Rome did say
Quote:
Snakes on a Parapet!

at which point Samuel L Jackson was heard to say

"Who put all these M.....F.... snakes on this M.....F...... parapet"

Please no more Snakes.

cheers
Bogue

I can beat Snakes on a Plane.....

Embrace the Insanity....EMBRACE IT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:42 pm      Reply with quote

Cuddle up kids.
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:49 am     cthulu on a parapet Reply with quote

And Carl said

Quote:
I can beat Snakes on a Plane.....

Hey Carl,
you bring it I'll throw it.

See ya Friday

Cheers
Bogue
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:45 am     Re: cthulu on a parapet Reply with quote

And Thus did Bogue Spake verily
Bogue wrote:

Hey Carl,
you bring it I'll throw it.

You wanna launch Cthulhu out of a trebuchet Shocked Confused Mr. Green

that covers all the bases doesn't it, biological, psychological, mythylogical.

some one get that man a drink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:25 pm     Cthulu on a plane Reply with quote

And then Carl said
Quote:
some one get that man a drink

Make it a double

That's onemonster of a monster.

Cheers **Hic**
Bogue
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: