Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
Bosses and umbos on Norman kite shields

Inigo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:27 pm     Bosses and umbos on Norman kite shields Reply with quote

I have made a lightweight Norman kite shield that has a single hand grip protected by a boss (or umbo). It works very nicely.

When I last talked to Victor, he said that it was generally accepted that the boss on a kite shield was "generally considered to be decorative and not functional". David Edge in his book "Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight" expresses this opinion, but gives no reason why he holds it.

Does anybody know why this belief is generally held?

Every other style of shield that I'm aware of that has a boss, uses it to protect the hand. That's roman shields and viking shields all the way through late period bucklers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:41 pm     the boss Reply with quote

The boss was originally designed to deflect blows from the center of round shields, though they also provided a place to mount the shield's grip. As time went on and heater shields with curved bodies became more popular, and enarmes superseded the bar grip, the boss became more of an ornamental piece.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote

That is pretty much the same as what Victor said.

Why do you believe this is true?

What evidence makes you come to this conclusion?

Arm straps (and possibly neck straps) would be good for cavalry and marching soldiers, but I can't see why people believe that for this type of shield the boss would be only decorative.

To me, it feels like one of those myths that's just been repeated often enough everyone believes it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:22 am      Reply with quote

apples with applesthe Norman kite shield
It is a large, curved shield, often referred to as a kite shield because of its shape.
Thes shape has good protection for the shield-side leg.
It was especially popular among mounted knights because it covered them from shoulder well below the knee when held at the ready-position (mounted on the forearm, the elbow bent at a 90 degree angle).

In addition, it is cross-strapped, the shield being held in place by an "X" of leather straps. The kite also had two grips, one at the top edge of the shield, allowing it to be wielded with ease on foot; and another at a right angle along the edge, allowing a mounted warrior to carry the shield and handle the reins with his left hand, while the right hand wielded a weapon.

there would of been no need to have a working boss

anyway who really knows a working boss would work, once off a horse
there not alot known about if they where decorated nor whether any decoration was about personal heraldry, different bands fighting together, or crafters who made them

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote

from what i see i agree with you derek their is no reason why not
and both could be used your sheild is very functional

but consider that it was only in the early eveltion of the kite that the boss was used then became obsolete as enarmes became the norm this is just my opinon but i feel it has some cedit

in the bayeux tapstry their are many diffent ways of holding the kite shield dipicted and no clear single dominate way also the size varys a lot as well

please open apost on genral disscuon about this topic

regards stephan
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: