Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Would you do combat archery again?

After participating in Combat Archery at NAAMA, would you do it again?
No
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but only light archery with volley fire like at NAAMA
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but I'd like to direct shoot at people but don't want to upgrade my helmet and neck protection
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Yes, and I would upgrade my head and neck protection so I can do the heavy combat archery
76%
 76%  [ 19 ]
Yes, but only if there are major changes to the rules first
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:10 pm     Would you do combat archery again? Reply with quote

Hi,

Now that a lot of you have had the opportunity to participate in Combat Archery at NAAMA, how about taking a quick poll about doing it again in future.

If you're not sure about the difference between light and heavy combat archery - Light combat archery was what was happening at NAAMA - normal armour with announced volleys of arrows. Heavy was only done by a few people as seperate battles but included unannounced direct firing.
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:14 pm      Reply with quote

Yes.
I prefer heavy, but will do light too - if only as a gateway drug to encourage more people to do heavy archery.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:59 pm      Reply with quote

Prefer Heavy will do Light
A max of 30lb at 28" bows so we can do direct fire

called volley didn't seem that effective with the other side knowing when the arrows where coming at them

Edit: oops got that around the wrong way Confused

Last edited by raven on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inigo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote

I missed NAAMA, so it wouldn't be "again" for me, so I didn't vote.

I'd do combat archery using the existing rules, but I'd wear heavy minimum armour regardless of the scenario and I would never use a bow in a light scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:41 pm      Reply with quote

I voted 'no', although I merely watched on the day. My angle is that I'm not here to be a walking target, regardless of how much armour I may or may not be wearing.

I do appreciate that I am in the minority though Smile
shoelessgirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote

I don't know if I can really answer, since saying I would participate again suggests that I've done it in the first place. However, I am very keen to upgrade my armour (from, well, a kirtle) to participate in heavy combat. I think it would be marvellous fun Smile
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:17 pm      Reply with quote

is there a box for "HELL YEAH!!!!!!"

The volley fire battles on sunday were the most fun on a battlefield i can remember, the threat of arrows dropping in made advancing a lot more realistic, (It is just a pity you couldn't hit anything Wink )

I would like to see the volley fire rules relaxed a little, I mean if we are announcing fire is it not reasonable for to fire a little lower to enhance accuracy, i think maybe yes ( but that is a discussion for another time)

I would love to do heavy and hopefully by next NAAMA I will have the gear to do so.

So yeah Nigel you have made a convert Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote

Hey man, I quite definately tagged someone on Sunday in the field stuff! and someone got done in the fort battle.....

Like Bouge I had a couple wizz past me at the start of the fort battle.

It was a heck of alot of fun watching the approach of the 'out-house', firing arrows, watching out for arrows, watching out for grappling hooks.....flying Conals....it was a good day at the office. (Aside from losing)
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:00 pm      Reply with quote

Kath wrote:

It was a heck of alot of fun watching the approach of the 'out-house', firing arrows, watching out for arrows, watching out for grappling hooks.....flying Conals....it was a good day at the office. (Aside from losing)

Dont forget about having your spear rudely ripped from your very hands Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:32 am      Reply with quote

Providing that crossbowmen and archers are allowed to take medium/close range shots at midriffs & legs, my vote is a firm yes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:02 am      Reply with quote

The overwhelming consensus at this stage seems to be that people are keen to armour up and pursue 'heavy combat archery' as their preferred way of playing the game. This is good to see.

Take note of Bogues posting too - he's happy to sell you a pre-cut piece of mesh to fit your helmet. As long as you've got your entire head either padded or armoured and you're wearing a gorget, you fit the armour requirements for the current 'heavy combat archery' rules.

If you're keen to get into it, don't hang about procrastinating... there will likely be one or more combat archery events happening in the lower north island/Wellington area in the coming months.

Nigel
allfiredup

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:39 am      Reply with quote

Yes.
I prefer heavy, but will do light too it all fun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:21 pm      Reply with quote

i cant find how to vote

but i vote YES YES YES to doing heavy stuff but i will need to get a new helm Sad cause my great elm wont let safty glasses under it
Southern Thrall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote

The combat archery I saw at NAAMA was awesome, I look forward to next year when I will probably be joining in rather than watching.

By then I bet most clubs would have done some combat archery based training, and everyone will be more familiar with the rules. One year is a long time away....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:34 pm     Archery mesh Reply with quote

stephan did say:
Quote:
.....but i will need to get a new helm cause my great elm wont let safty glasses under it

3 small holes, three small bolts with capnuts on and (from what I remember of your helm) about a 200mmx50mm piece of the punchplate I have can fix that. PM me and I'll get you sorted at a very reasonable cost.

Cheers
Bogue (Kath please note the spelling)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: