Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
sunday morning bow practice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

stephan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:30 pm     sunday morning bow practice Reply with quote

hail every sunday morning at 11 30 till 1
at the kingsland scouthall on central rd

their is bow practice
we have loaner bows and arrows
but bring your own

we practice various drills and are moveing into combat drills

come and fight if you want to as well

stephan
HanSagan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote

My Christmas present to myself is a longbow Smile I'll try and make it along Smile

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hansagan
allfiredup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:09 pm      Reply with quote

who does archery in Welly? anyone know?

thanks

Sophie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:45 am      Reply with quote

are you talking about combat archery or just archery, in the wellington area?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote

allfiredup wrote:
who does archery in Welly? anyone know?

thanks

Sophie

And are you talking about reenactment archery or club archery (modern day archery clubs)?

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:40 am      Reply with quote

The Falcons have made some solid noises about putting together a combat archery group. At this stage it's a bit primordial and probably won't kick off until early next year, but we will be doing it.

Various people have tried in the past to get a regular target archery get together going in Wellington (non club specific), but there hasn't been the sustained interest.

If people there were the numbers to do it, I'd be happy to try and organise a perhaps monthly get together, probably on a weekend, and do both combat archery, target archery, general combat, etc... could make a big multi-club day of it somewhere. Would people be keen for that? Certainly the wellington groups haven't been doing much interclub bonding in the past year or more (or at least none that I've heard about).
Boyd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:12 am      Reply with quote

The problem I had was the weather!

Last year I'd made arrangements with the property manager at Wellington High School and received a good rate to rent the east field. But the weather kept screwing it up. I haven't bothered trying to organise it again...

It was a good site and semi secure, with a high fence on one side and the hill on the other.

It also meet with the council legislation that no public area can be used for archery and as the school owns the site it was fine. I had also contacted the Police to let them know what was going on, and was told as long as the site was controllable and the bows were unstrung in public areas there was no problem

Aldous Huxley in "Texts and Pretexts", 1932
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:23 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
It also meet with the council legislation that no public area can be used for archery and as the school owns the site it was fine. I had also contacted the Police to let them know what was going on, and was told as long as the site was controllable and the bows were unstrung in public areas there was no problem

I hunted around to find the actual legislation banning archery in public places in Wellington, and couldn't find it, so I rang Wellington City Council. No such legislation exists. It's an urban myth (quite literally).

The only things you have to take heed of are the laws surrounding weaponry and the use thereof - as in don't be a dick and threaten or endanger anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:45 am      Reply with quote

Angel wrote:
Quote:

I hunted around to find the actual legislation banning archery in public places in Wellington, and couldn't find it, so I rang Wellington City Council. No such legislation exists. It's an urban myth (quite literally).

The only things you have to take heed of are the laws surrounding weaponry and the use thereof - as in don't be a dick and threaten or endanger anyone.

the only legislation that i can find is banning weapons on reserves with out permission of the "Director"

Quote:
16.4 General Restrictions

16.4.1 No person, in any reserve, shall :

r. Climb or get up any fence or tree, throw any stone, or other missile (by hand or otherwise), take, use or carry any firearm, air-rifle, catapult, or any other weapon or other dangerous instrument, or let off any firework, without the prior written permission of the Director.
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:56 am      Reply with quote

Good work!

Not sure why we (including Wellington City Council staff) didn't find that eariler!

Okay, guess the ban is back on, unless you talk to the director of Parks and Recreation at WCC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote

Yep that's the one - the original from 1933 actually states "bow or arrow" but it was redrafted in 1980.

It sort of covers everything we do, if we do it in a public park...

Inigo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote

Wow! It's illegal to climb a tree in a reserve in Wellington without prior written consent of the Director of the Wellington City Council.

That's amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:41 pm      Reply with quote

No, No, just the Director of Parks and Recreation of the Wellington City Council. Wink

The more disturbing one for my flower picking girlfriend is:

16.4.1(k) Remove or disturb any soil, uproot or injure any plant or other growth, or take any cuttings, or interfere with or pick any flower or other plant.

Razz

We also have a sport related one;

16.4.1(p) Play or take part in any organised or team games, athletics sports, drill, marching, musical or other group activity in any part of a reserve which has not been set aside or approved by the Director as a ground for that class of game, sport or activity as the case may be. Any approval granted under this subclause may be given subject to any condition whatsoever.

raven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:41 pm      Reply with quote

the nearest thing i can find in the Auckland City bylaws is

Quote:
20.8.3 A person shall not on any reserve:

Access
(a) Enter or leave the reserve except through the opening, gateways, entrances or exits provided;

Disturbing behaviour
(b) Act in a manner which would be likely to disturb the enjoyment of the reserve by other persons lawfully using the reserve;
(c) Permit or cause wastage of water;

Bathing
(d) Bathe or wade in any water except in those areas in which bathing or wading is allowed;

Sport
(e) Play or practice any sport outside those areas designated for that purpose.

in part (e) im not sure if the area needs to be designated for a specific sport or for sports in general
stephan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:43 pm      Reply with quote

wow wellinton has has crazy laws
oh well what can you expect from the stix Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

and in feb im : moving there Shocked

stephan
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: