Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
Forge stuff.

Ben_sutton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:03 pm     Forge stuff. Reply with quote

I just picked up the forge Justin posted about in the stuff for sale section of the forum. Its pretty sweet. The only thing is, I feel like it could do with a hood and was wondering if anyone had any tips for constructing one.

Cheers
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:54 am     Ferge hood Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Got to your local scrap merchant.
Quite often there will be old visor fireplaces or industrial ducting that will be more than suitable for a forge hood.

Flue sections are always useful to conduct fumes to up above the neighbours laundry and so forth (They can get really pissy about that when you first start coking up.)

Make friends with your local scrap merchant. Hang out for a bit. They usually have a plasma cutter if you don't have one yourself and for the right incentive can often whip out those bits that are a pain to cut with a grinder or jigsaw.

If you find a good one they will often become interested enough that you can score a job and all the metal you could want, as well as having many of the tools you need but may not have.

And some of the stuff people throw out can often be the exact thing you want (bottom of an old blown oxygen cylinder, big car lpg cylinder, set of rollers, swaging jenny, leaf springs and sheet metal by the ton).
find out what they drink and set up a medium of exchange (It's incredible what you can get for a dozen beers, a pack of smokes or a bottle of homestill)

Have fun

Cheers
Bogue
hopies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:26 am      Reply with quote

use a wok on a stick.

Justn has a plate around a hand high rivited to the outside bout 3mm thick, that stops wind at least.

makes hard to heat whole breastplates though.

Justin - "you could always build up the outside with firebricks"

hopies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:29 am      Reply with quote

Cheers guys.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: